Being a Litigant in Person (LiP)

If you are in court proceedings and you don’t have a solicitor acting for you, you are a Litigant in Person (LiP), also called ‘self-representing’.

I work with Litigants in Person (LiP), giving them as much or as little help as they need to get through their court proceedings. I encourage them to do as much of the paperwork as they can themselves in order to save money.

Being a LiP means you stay in control. A solicitor will do everything for you, but sometimes they say and write things people don’t like. Whilst I draft letters and documents, my clients are responsible for all of them and can change anything that doesn’t feel right to them before they send them.

If you don’t have a solicitor I’ll give you the legal information, and help you need to:

  • Reply to letters from your ex’s solicitor
  • Issue your own divorce petition (application) or
  • Reply to a divorce petition you’ve received
  • Make, or respond to, court applications about your children
  • Understand your options for settling your financial arrangements
  • Obtain a financial order
  • Complete your Form E
  • Fill in court forms and write statements
  • Find mediators, financial advisors, solicitors, barristers or McKenzie Friends
  • Prepare for mediation meetings or court hearings
  • Write position statements for court hearings

I can also help you with:

  • Decision making
  • Problem solving
  • Reducing the impact of the separation on your children
  • Working out what is best for your children
  • Feeling empowered to do the right thing for your children
  • Managing difficult emotions which get in the way of negotiations
  • Communicating with your ex
Divorce Consultant Diana Jordan

You might also be interested in reading the ‘Legal Structure of Divorce’ a two-minute guide to divorce proceedings.

A Better Way of Dealing with Divorce: book